The kindle - will it replace the book???? I decided to see what the kindle was all about. As a true book lover my first reaction was "oh, what a shame..." but curious at the same time to how the public will embrace this new technology. On Amazon there are several video interviews with Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos selling the wonders of his new product. I have to admit some features have merit such as lower book cost, ease when traveling, daily newspapers, handy dictionary & Wikipedia, and of course the "green" feature of saving our trees. On the other hand I am having a hard time picturing myself enjoying the device over a "real" book. I sort of relate it to reading a document from the computer screen vs. reading a hard copy. It is difficult to visualize where you are in a textbook chapter relative to the sections and/or outline while reading from the actual book it is easy to quickly view pages to get this orientation. Most likely this is a technique I need to teach myself through use.
I think the kindle will be very popular with many techies especially those that would also subscribe to the daily newspapers and who follow blogs. In addition, it should take off with many in the general public who purchase books regularly. Some like the idea that they can have a library of books on hand at all times. It should also prove to be popular with those who currently purchase, read and "pass it on" just due to the reasonable cost (most best-sellers at $10). Though will the kindle severely limit the possibilities for the second hand reader...whether it be your friends or family member who exchange books or those that purchase books from garage sales or library used book sales? So even though Amazon is selling the kindle books at a lower cost will they end up selling more books??
Those that borrow books from the library versus buying them will continue to look to the library for their books. But it makes me wonder....what new technologies will surface here. As far as my own personal library I cannot see where the books I cherish will be replaced by a kindle containing digital copies. The collection may not be large but I will always need to see, touch and embrace my own library collection. I believe the "real" book will continue to LIVE due to these overwhelming emotional and personal aspects.
That being said, do I think that I am interested in trying to read a book on a kindle? YES!!! I may not run out today to buy a kindle from Amazon but someday (when the price comes down) I see where I might have a place for this device (or it's cousin) in my personal library.
Welcome to "Learning 2.0" 550 Spring 2010
16 years ago

I agree with you about the Kindle; it's a cool thing, but I don't see it replacing a paper book.
ReplyDeleteI have a friend who has the Sony Reader and swears by it. Personally, I'd rather pick up a book and turn actual pages.